Skip to main content

Vegetarian in the Balkans- a brief introduction

I mentioned several posts ago that I decided to become a vegetarian. While most of my posts have focused on my itinerary, where I went, what I did, etc.; I've decided to be a little more focused in this post and talk about the adventures of being meatless on the road.

Furthermore, I won't be incorporating pictures into this post- earlier this week in Ohrid, Macedonia I somehow managed to crack my laptop screen, rendering my Chromebook invalid. We arrived in Albania a few days ago, so here's hoping I can find a place to get it fixed in a short period of time. My Chromebook was only about $180, so I'm not wedded to it, and if it weren't for my blog or for my new freelance travel writing gig I could probably eschew a laptop entirely - you can do almost anything on a smartphone these days.

Another small update, if you're wondering who’s this “we” I'm referring to. For the next leg of my trip, at least through the western Balkans, I'll have a travel buddy. In Skopje I met up with Michael, an American who's been residing in Europe for several years, and we'll be exploring the former Yugoslav republic and Albania together. I'm looking forward to this experience, to take a break from solo traveling and to get a new perspective on the places I visit. Michael's fairly well traveled in other parts of Europe and the world, so I hope to learn a lot from him in the next three weeks.

Anyway, back to vegetarianism. Of course it was easy on the farm in Bulgaria, as I was only provided with vegan ingredients to cook with. In those two ish weeks, I decided I no longer wanted my diet to include meat, for several reasons. I mainly think of my personal health, but also the sustainability of our planet, and the unethical treatment it takes to deliver meat products to people cheaply and efficiently. Therefore, meat is off the table. I also plan to someday enter veganism, but have deemed that too difficult to follow on the road, and especially while couchsurfing with others who offer their food to me.

Ahhh, the Balkans, land of grilled meats, cured sausage, freshly caught fish. I was able to sample many of these dishes in my time pre-farm, and I don't think I'm missing out on much now. Fortunately, the Balkans is also known for its fresh Shopska salads, consisting usually of tomato, cucumber, and grated white cheese, as well is its white bean soups. To cut down on costs and increase variety I've also been trying to cook at least one meal a day.

So far, things have been relatively easy. During the remainder of my time in Bulgaria I stocked up on muesli, wheat bread, kefir yogurt, bananas and...peanut butter. Ignatius, my host in Plovdiv, showed me where I could buy it at Kaufland, a German grocery chain. I've been picky about buying peanut butter since I got to Europe, seeing as most brands have added oils and sugars in them, but this Kaufland brand only has added salt, so I caved. Thus, most of my meals in Blagoevgrad consisted of muesli and kefir and peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Before I got sick of them I ran out of peanut butter  (my second jar in 10 days...maybe I needed to hold off.)

After I met up with Michael I started eating out a bit more. When I'm traveling alone, I'm more likely couchsurfing, and a lot of the time I'm on my own for most meals, or I'm sharing them in a home. When I knew I would be out for lunch, I would find a traditional dish or specialty of the city/country, and go from there. Now, there isn't much in the way of planning (Michael's more of the “let's wander until we find something”) so I just keep my eye out for anything more than salad on the menu.

So far, I've been blessed with falafel, grilled vegetables, pizza, and pasta. I'm sure this is how it will be for some time, but so far so good. Last night in Dürres, Albania, we went to a pseudo Italian restaurant. Michael got some nice looking cuttlefish dish, and I ordered spaghetti with olives and spicy pepper oil. In Ohrid, a fairly touristy town by the lake of the same name, we stopped in a newly opened falafel shop  (aptly named Dr. Falafel) serving freshly fried falafel balls in a thick pita - like pocket with tahini sauce and all the pickled vegetables you could pile on your plate. Not too shabby.

Anyway, back on the road soon! Today, we head to Tirana, the capital of Albania, for a couple of nights. The transportation system here is kind of wild, but tickets anywhere usually cost less than 400 leke ($3) so can't complain too much. More about Albania later :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech