Skip to main content

Final days in France- Paris, Prayssac, and Pau.

I've been pretty terrible at keeping the blog updated since I arrived back in the states. Part of my lack in updating comes from sheer laziness, but I think part of it has something to do with the end of my trip and feeling a little down about that, so I haven't had the motivation to update to the end. But here it goes!

August- The end of my time at American Village was welcome, though I was sad to leave the camp and the people I worked with. I definitely was not as burnt out as I was the year prior, which was great, but it was still time to move on.

One of my favorite activities of the summer came during the last session, we hiked out to an open area to camp overnight. I eschewed the tent in favor of sleeping under the stars, which was pretty amazing. I had never done anything like that before, and it was surprisingly comfortable!



At the end of August, I said farewell to kids and counselors alike an embarked on a high speed train back to Paris, where I met up with my sister, Jane, and stayed with the van den Broeks. Jane had been working as an au pair in eastern France for two months, and it was great to see her. We spent a couple of days wandering Paris- we ate falafel and went to Asian supermarkets, wandered through Paris's many covered passageways and visited some clothing stores so I could replenish my wardrobe before the last leg of my trip. After a few days, we took the train down to visit Anna and Fred, who I had the pleasure of meeting at the beginning of August. We did what one does in Prayssac: eat a lot of delicious food, sleep well, play petanque and drink pastis.


Lunch one day

Farmers market haul

We spent four relaxing days in Prayssac, and then Jane and I parted ways in Toulouse: she flew to Rome to start a backpacking trip through Italy, and I headed east towards Pau, a town at the foothills of the Pyrenees. I had about a week an a half before meeting Scott in Barcelona, so my plan was to visit some friends I had made while working as a counselor and seeing a few new cities, my last time as a solo traveler on this adventure. Scoops (Scottie) was one of those friends I met during my first month of camp this year; we shared a bunk bed in our cabin-y perma-tent at Saut du Loup.


Turns out Scoops is an awesome cook, so one day, after a trip to the largest Asian grocery store I've seen in Europe, she made me and her partner Aymeric Vietnamese rice noodle bowls that were to DIE FOR. Otherwise, I spent a lot of time walking around Pau and admiring the view of the Alps and the castle, first built in the Middle Ages and occasionally used by Napoleon as his holiday home.


Before I arrived, I had originally intended to stay in Pau longer, but decided to shave a couple of days off to visit San Sebastian, a city on the Basque coast of Northern Spain. My next stop had been Madrid, and it would have been much easier to get there from San Sebastian (aka, I could take a direct train) than attempt to find a BlaBlaCar from Pau. Plus, a few people I know had been to San Sebastian and really liked it, so I felt I would treat myself to a couple of nights in a hostel before heading to the center of Spain. 


The morning before I left, I ran through the castle grounds. The sun through the trees was beautiful, and the mountain air was fresh and invigorating. It was a great last morning in France after spending more than two months there. I hope I will return sooner rather than later!

Later that day I took a bus across the border to San Sebastian. I'll account for my Spanish trip in my text post, which will hopefully come sooner than this one did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech