Skip to main content

Last weekend in Minneapolis = success. Plus, contact info for abroad!

Hi friends,

I sit writing to you thirty minutes before the plane boards. Only one slight mishap so far. I zoomed through security, only to sit down at the gate to write this post and SNAP! There goes the strap on my dress, completely off. Bad omen? I'm not sure. It forced me to buy a sewing kit (which of course I didn't pack), so fortunately this happened to me now, and not when a sewing kit wasn't in twenty feet of me.

Yours truly, 2 1/2 hours before takeoff.

This weekend has been a whirlwind, which I will briefly describe:

Friday was spent in the car, driving from Kansas to Minnesota with my parents. It's not a bad route- just a straight shot up I-35. The last time I did this drive with my parents was in August 2009, when I first moved to Minneapolis to go to the University of Minnesota. The first time I did it was from 2002, when I went to Spanish immersion camp in Bemidji. It seems like driving up to Minnesota with parents usually signifies a new chapter in my life- first time away from home, going off to college, now my international adventure. Pretty cool- I wonder if this drive will happen again, and in what capacity?

Saturday morning consisted hauling all of my things out of my apartment, packing them into a U-Haul, and unloading them into a storage unit off of Como and 280. You think you've done soooo well at paring down your stuff and acting all minimalist until you start moving. I'm eternally grateful to my parents for being so helpful- honestly could not have done it without them. Four hours and three sweaty, grumpy people later, everything's packed away neatly and we're sitting down to deeeelicious lunch at El Taco Riendo. Saturday afternoon was a lot of down time for the parents, a lot more cleaning and apartment stuff for me. We ended up at Black Sheep Pizza for dinner (Dad's favorite) and I drove them down to Minnehaha Falls, which they have never been to. It's some of the little things you take for granted in Minneapolis, like the Falls, that you never think to show visitors.

Early Sunday morning we trekked over to Hard Times before Mom and Dad drove home. I fulfilled one of the last items on my bucket list by ordering glorious migas. The rest of the day consisted of marching at Pride, eating at Brasa, unpacking my backpack, packing it again, and last minute chats and phone calls before heading to the airport. Finally on my way!

I'm hoping the camp (Le Saut Du Loup) has Wi-Fi, so I can update you all soon.

In the meantime, the camp does have a mailing address, so if you feel like dropping me a line, I'd love to hear from you. When I went to Spanish camp, my grandpa sent me a care packing with chocolate, crackers and those Babybel cheeses with the little red wax covers. Definitely not necessary- a postcard would suffice :)

Sophie Wallerstedt
American Village
La Bergerie du Saut du Loup
47800 MIRAMONT DE GUYENNE
FRANCE

I'll definitely be there the entire month og July.

My phone will not work abroad, but I will be on WhatsApp and Skype (my username is sophie_wallerstedt).

And, if you haven't yet, please subscribe to my blog so you don't have to check Facebook/this page for updates! You can type in your email in the top left corner- you'll get an email that will require you to verify your email address.

I don't have much else to say at this point, except THANK YOU to everyone who has supported me in my decision to do this. Thanks for the trip advice, the borrowed stuff, taking care of my things while I'm gone, all the warm feelings as I head out. I can't thank you enough.

Love,

Sophie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech