Skip to main content

It's Saturday morning, and I'm eating a BLT. I must be in heaven.




Yesterday was our last day with the kids. We had the traditional "American brunch" in the morning, and the kitchen staff gave us the leftover bacon with the rest of our dinner supplies. We were planning a barbeque, so they gave us hamburger, sausage, tabouleh, cantaloupe, lettuce, tomato, and a ton of grated carrots. Kind of a random feast, but we ran with it.

I was not on convoyage this time, so after the kids left yesterday I helped clean and prep for next session's crop, which is coming on Tuesday. We have a few days to relax, which is why I'm eating breakfast at 11am.

Everyone else is still asleep. The kitchen delivered fresh baguette around 7:30am, as they do every morning, so I tore off a piece and added some leftover lettuce and tomato, plus a smear of dijon mustard. I microwaved two pieces of bacon until they were sizzly and brown around the edges and stuffed them into the baguette. With a couple of slices of cantaloupe and a bowl of coffee, it was easily the best breakfast I've had in a long time. Usually it's a bowl of overly watery milky oatmeal with cut up fruit, a piece of baguette or melba toast, and a cup of coffee. Sometimes I spring for the corn flakes they set out for the campers every morning. Today was a much-needed exception.

This session went by much quicker than the last. I supposed the more you get used to something the less time it seems to take, especially when you know what to expect.

My first day off I took a looooong hike through the countryside, for about three hours. I documented a lot of it on Instagram, but said I would post a few pictures here, so here you go:







My second day off this session fell on a rainy day, quite uncharacteristic of the weather we've been having. I spent most of my time lounging in my tent, and went into town that evening for Chinese food, which wasn't bad, considering how small the town is.

I've also been reading a TON. It's something I've started doing before I go to sleep and before I hit up breakfast in the morning. I have Kindle Unlimited, so I've been digging through their offerings for classics and old favorites. I've been reading a lot of dystopian novels (1984, Animal Farm, The Giver, the Handmaid's Tale) as well as Slaughterhouse-Five. I started the Life of Pi this morning. It feels good to be reading so much again. I never set aside the time for it during college, as I was doing plenty of other reading, and after college I felt like I had better things to do. But it's been a nice way to relax during the craziness of camp life.

Since we have a few extra days before the kids come, tomorrow evening Bubbles and I are taking the train to Bordeaux. We're spending the night in an Airbnb before checking out the city the next day. We'll take the train back Monday night. More about this adventure later!

Sophie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech