Skip to main content

Brasov, Sinaia, train troubles, and a winter proposal.

Hey friends, I’m really close to getting you all up to speed on my trip through Romania. Hitting up a new city every couple of days made it difficult to stay on track and continuously update the blog, but now that I’ve settled on a farm in Bulgaria for a couple of weeks I have some more down time.


Let’s see, where was I...
I arrived in Brașov on a Sunday night after an hour train delay. Brașov is nestled among mountains in Transylvania, and I could tell as soon as I got off the train that it would be a chilly couple of days. I was tired and hungry, but fortunately my host, Eftenie, picked me up from the station, brought me back to the apartment, and fed me homemade tomato soup with dumplings, plus chicken and roasted potatoes. By the time dessert (delicious apple cake) came around, I was feeling myself again.


Unfortunately, the weather was not too kind to me in Brașov. The next morning I awoke to clouds and rain, the first bad weather I had experienced since I left Italy.  I soldiered through, and wandered around the city center for a bit before meeting Colin, the man I mentioned in the post before, who is looking for a house sitter this winter. It was getting pretty miserable outside, so I looked for a museum to hang out in for about an hour before I was supposed to meet Colin. Unfortunately, it was Monday, and all the museums were closed, so I settled in with my Kindle and a cappuccino in a small cafe.

After a while, I met Colin for another coffee, and we ended up chatting for two hours. He’s from England, but has lived in Romania for twenty years. He’s the sole proprietor of Roving Romania, and takes tourists by Land Rover around the country. Every winter he goes back to the UK to visit family, from mid-January to mid-March. He doesn’t like closing up his house, so he asks someone to stay for a couple of months. The gig isn’t paid, and you need to pay for your own food, but there’s central heating wi-fi, and television provided.

Brasov
I had some other ideas for what to do between January and March, namely, continue to volunteer in Turkey and then visit Spain for a few weeks. However, the house sitting stint sounds tempting. Two months of free housing, during which I could work on anything I wanted? Sure, you have to pay for food, but it’s ridiculously cheap in Romania. I would spend more money traveling, during the winter no less, so maybe it’s better to hunker down for a while. I figure I could work on my yoga practice, study for the GRE, finish my TEFL certification, and read as many books as possible. I could be as productive or lazy as I wanted.

As an added bonus, there’s another girl my age from the United States who’s looking into house sitting for Colin, too. We’ve had a brief email exchange, and she seems super awesome. It would probably make the time go faster, and I'm sure days would be more entertaining. (No pressure Allison, I’m sure you’re reading this :P) So, I haven’t emailed Colin yet to officially accept the position, but I’m about 90% sure I’ll do it. Thoughts, anyone?

The day after I spoke to Colin I took a day trip to Castle Bran, supposedly the castle owned by Count Dracula from the popular book. I took a bus out to Bran, the village, and waded through souvenir stands galore to get to the castle, which was quite cool. I think it depends on how I’m feeling a particular day if I wanted to be surrounded by locals or tourists. Today was a tourist day, and I heard many languages from across the world, and of course American accents as I wandered through the castle and village.




The next day was to be a long one, as I was planning a stop in Sinaia before heading to Bucharest, Romania’s capital city. I woke up early to catch my 9am train, which was to stop in Sinaia before continuing southward. I had a nice conversation with a Romanian guy in my cabin, and before I knew it, we had reached the Sinaia station. I said a quick goodbye to my brief friend, hoisted my backpack onto my shoulders and hips, and headed for the door, which...wouldn’t open.

I jiggled the handle, and found a button to press. Finally, the door seemed to give way. As I pushed it open, the train started to move. Great. I saw a couple of what I’m guessing were train security guards on the platform.

Me: “Sinaia? Can I get off?”

Them: “Nope.”

In hindsight, the train was moving slow enough that I could have hopped off. But I didn’t. Instead, the ticket
Oh Campina
guy found me, somewhat frantic, and flipped through his timetable book to tell me where I could get off and take a train back to Sinaia. Slightly defeated, I returned to my cabin and explained my situation to my friend and the others in the cabin. It would be about half an hour before the train stopped at the next station, so I tried to settle in, but the anxiety of missing my stop was still with me. Fortunately, my cabin friend made sure I got off the train in Campina. I purchased a ticket back to Sinaia, and sat at the platform, waiting, determined not to miss this stop.


Eventually I made it to Sinaia, which was a beautiful village nestled in the mountains. It was cold and windy the day I was there, otherwise I would have spent the entire time exploring the town. Instead, in Tourist Sophie Mode, I went to the main attractions, Peles Castle and the Sinaia Monastery, both of which were worth seeing. I then hunkered down in a bakery for some coffee and chocolate cake before making my way back to the train station. (Note to self: Buy a coat. It’s too cold for my Columbia fleece jacket, which had kept me sufficiently warm up until then.)




I purchased my ticket at the station, and sat down for a while. I was early- it was too chilly to explore some more, and I was NOT going to miss my train. I fed some bread crumbs to a pigeon trapped in the station, and tried to lead him out the door with a trail of crumbs- except there were several stray dogs right in front of the doorway. That pigeon was not going anywhere. I earned a sympathetic smile from an older woman waiting for her train.

Eventually, a train arrived at the platform I was waiting for. I looked at my watch. Eight minutes early? Good! The sooner I can get on, the better. I was ushered on to the train quickly by the ticket collector. I hopped on, and as soon as I got to the seats, the train started moving...fuck. That should not be happening. Trains never leave the station early. I asked the ticket man- this goes to Bucharest, right? Nope, Ploiești, a city before Bucharest...great. He tells me I can get off at Campina and pick up the train to Bucharest there. I start to laugh. This is not my train day.

Back at Campina.
That being said, I’ve actually been pretty lucky on this trip. This is the most transportation trouble I’ve had, and I managed to cram it all into one day. Hopefully I’ll be a little smarter in the future.

Eventually, I board the actual train that will take me to Bucharest, my last stop in Romania, and the subject of my next post.

To be continued!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech