Skip to main content

Blitzing through the Western Balkans: First ramblings

A month is not enough time to visit the Western Balkans, by my travel companion Michael and I worked our way through 14 cities in 7 countries in 25 days. It was a marathon journey- we saw a lot, ate a lot, and met a lot of cool people. Looking back a few days after it ended it amazes me how much ground we covered.


Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my last post, the first casualty of the trip was my Chromebook- I think I accidentally stepped on it and cracked the screen, which left it unusable until I got it repaired. I took it to several repair shops in Albania, but none had the screen I needed. After a lengthy email conversation with an eBay electronics seller and several visits to a computer shop in Prizren, Kosovo, I ordered the correct screen to have shipped from the UK to Ivan, my former CS host in Serbia, fingers crossed that it would arrive before I got there a week and a half later. A few hours later, on the bus to Pristina, Kosovo's capital, I realized I left the bag with all of my chargers (phone, computer, iPad) in the hostel room. Cue more anxiety to have that shipped from Kosovo to Serbia, the country that has the most reason to not recognize Kosovo's independence. Fortunately, thanks to two Peace Corps volunteers, Wendy in Prizren and the infallible Simon, whom I used to see at the Capitol, they were able to send it to Ivan.

Fortunately, both laptop screen and chargers were acquired the day after I arrived in Belgrade and before I left for Istanbul, so all is well on the electronics front.

Since I did not have my computer during the Balkans trip, I became too lazy to update my blog on my phone. I think what I'll do is give snippets of what happened over the course of several posts, so I'm not overwhelming you, dear reader, with everything that conspired in one foul swoop.

Michael and I traveled by bus the entire route of our adventure, trips ranging anywhere from 1.5 hours  to the grueling 8 hours in a minibus from Sarajevo to Belgrade. The most interesting ride was the 6 hours it takes to get from Peja. Kosovo, to Podgorica, the capital of Montenegro. We couldn't believe it would take that long, but yes, snaking up and down the mountains does take a while. I was able to snap some beautiful photos though:




Our accommodation was mainly through Airbnb, which is already fairly inexpensive in the Balkans but even cheaper in the off-season. I believe we rarely paid more than $10 apiece per night, the normal price of the cheapest hostel bed in most towns. We stayed in hostels twice, in Kosovo, where Airbnb hasn't really caught on yet. 

We also Couchsurfed twice- I put up notices that we were looking for hosts in every city, but I think since this area already doesn't have a lot of hosts and that we were two people made it harder to find anyone to host us. But no worries. We had a great two nights in Berat, Albania with Artan and his wife and daughter. Artan works in tourism during the summer so has time off in the winter. He specializes in French tourists, and his wife teaches French at a University nearby. Artan spoke a little English, and I spoke a little French, so together we were able to have basic communication. It was the first time I stayed with a host who wasn't fluent in English, but we made it work. Berat itself was beautiful. The town was out of the way but definitely worth it:




Our other CS hosts were Ivana and Goran, a couple living in Podgorica. We only stopped for the night before continuing on to Kotor, so we didn't get to spend as much time with them as I would have liked. On top of that, I was feeling nauseous and sick the whole evening, I think a combination of the 6 hour bus ride and possibly the veggie soup I ate in the bus station restaurant- so needless to say, I wasn't feeling particularly sociable. Fortunately Ivana and Goran were understanding. The next morning Ivana made priganice, fried dough fritters eaten with yogurt, cheese, jam, and nutella. (If you're interested, Wikipedia has an entire list of fried dough foods in the world.)

The climate we passed through ranged anywhere from the Mediterranean warmth of Albania to the snowy, rainy days in Kosovo. It was kind of wild to pass through citrus groves on our way towards colder climates. Fortunately, we didn't have any travel delays due to weather, and the worst of it was trekking to a Serbian Orthodox monastery outside of Peja, Kosovo in snow and slush.




 I soaked my sneakers straight through, and finally found reason to buy a pair of boots (15 euros, after much searching for the perfect pair of plain, flat, ankle length black boots). 

Our Airbnb in Dubrovnik, Croatia had a mandarin orange tree out back. I think I ate 10 oranges picked off the tree in one sitting. I've never picked citrus fruit off a tree before! It was pretty awesome. 



Overall, this trip was very insightful. It was cool to be able to compare cultures as we jumped from one country to the next. Hard to believe that every country we visited (except for Albania) was part of Yugoslavia. Of course, some cultural aspects of the Balkans remain constant between countries, but so many differences prove these regions can't possibly be lumped into one.

Furthermore, traveling with another person for this amount of time was a fascinating challenge. The longest I had traveled with someone prior was with my friend Marissa as we backpacked through Western and Central Europe for three weeks. What made it more difficult is that Michael and I were basically starting from scratch- we were not friends prior, so we had nothing to build off of-not to mention that we're both very stubborn, opinionated people. However, we both love to travel, see new cities, drink new types of beer, and experience different cultures. We survived 25 days together without killing each other, which in my opinion is a commendable feat.

Anyway, that's enough for now- more to come later. Just a heads up, I'm in Istanbul until Thursday, and then I'm working on a Turkish dairy farm for three weeks before jetting off to Prague to visit friends for a few days. After that, it's house sitting at a Romanian village until mid-March!

Until next time <3


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech