Skip to main content

Two weeks into my dairy farm stint, and I've become immune to scraping shit.

On my last morning in Istanbul, my host drove me to the metro station, and I rode the packed train to the main bus station. I had instructions from the farm to go to a certain agency, buy my ticket, and once on the bus ask the driver to drop me off at a gas station before their last stop. This I did with little difficulty, and once at the gas station a Turkish volunteer, Serdar, picked me up to take me to the farm.

Before I go any further, I’d like to address one of my favorite parts of Turkish culture: tea. After I bought my ticket at the bus station, the man at the counter suggested I go upstairs for a cup of caj (pronounced like chai). Cai is prevalent everywhere in Istanbul: people drink caj at the sidewalk cafes, boys deliver trays of caj to the men manning their booths at the bazaar or the farmers market, and a man hawks caj to ferry passengers as they cross the Bosphorus Bay. There’s really only one type of tea served: strong, black, and usually doctored with several spoons of sugar stirred in (not my favorite).



Caj being served on the ferry
During my time in Istanbul, I drank a lot of caj. It was served to me by Selcuk’s mother along with squares of baklava, or at dinner time; when I went out with friends and new acquaintances we usually stopped for a glass or two somewhere. I was addicted, so of course I headed upstairs to grab a glass before jumping on the bus. While on the bus, the attendant passed out paper cups and tea bags, then came around with hot water for us to enjoy the tea. Once I arrived at the gas station, an employee pointed me towards the “cafe”, which consisted of a few tables and chairs, and two men watching a football (soccer) match. As I lugged my backpack inside, the older man got up and fixed me a hot cup of caj. It was blustery and rainy that day, so caj was the perfect thing to sip while I waited to be picked up.

Two weeks ago I started volunteering at Gündönümü Farm, situated about 90km west of Istanbul. I found the farm through Workaway, and was attracted to the experience it offered: daily work on a dairy farm, a house shared with other volunteers, home-cooked meals every night. The workload ask was a little higher than average: eight hours a day, six days a week with one off day. Workaway guidelines typically ask for 5 hours a day, and I’ve worked anywhere from 3 to 6 hour days. I knew this would be a new challenge, but it has been manageable.

There are four shifts on the farm: the early morning shift, the morning and afternoon shifts, and the evening shifts. Volunteers are expected to work both midday shifts, and either start at 5:30am or finish at 6:30-7:30pm. The tasks are variable depending on the time of day. There’s always milking to be done in the early morning and at night. Volunteers help feed the calves, comb the cows, help with bottling milk, but easily the most memorable volunteer task is “scraping,” aka clearing the barns of all the cow manure. Of course, we’re not that polite when it comes to actually doing the work. “Ready to scrape some shit?” The system is simple: scrape all the shit out of the beds, and then scrape it down to the pit at the end of the barn. We’ve got it down to a science; pouring water on the manure to make it easier to move, and when it gets to the right consistency we become quite vigorous towards its removal. 



This task is best done with multiple people, so that you may engage in discussions over cultural differences, talk about past travel experiences, or ponder questions such as, “what is the meaning of life?”

Judith and me, in the midst of our favorite activity


Fortunately, I’ve been blessed to work with a small group of volunteers from Argentina, the USA, South Korea, Denmark, Turkey, and briefly the Phillipines. We’re all traveling for some reason or another, all very energetic, and perhaps slightly crazy people. Someone joked the other day that we may be inhaling too much nitrogren, as we’ve become increasingly silly over the past week or so, especially by making up games or scenarios while working- we’re in a shit scraping competition, someone’s working on this farm because they’re hiding from the press, etc. etc. It’s amazing what one can come up with when left to their own devices of entertainment. Overall, though, it’s been wonderful to have a makeshift family during this volunteer stint.


There are also actual workers on the farm, and only one speaks a little English. Usually conversations consist of basic English and Turkish words, a lot of pointing, a lot of making fun of each other. They’re all very nice, and a good group of people to work with. Sometimes I’ve been able to help mix the feed (it’s amazing how many ingredients go into a milking cow’s meal!) or help with other tasks, like chopping wood:


While the work hours are long, there are plenty of tea breaks during the day. In the workers’ kitchen, there’s a constant pot of tea boiling. The Turkish have an interesting system for tea- they brew it very strong, but there’s always hot water to pour into it, so the tea pots are made for this purpose. Lunch is catered in, so at 1pm we gather around the table to eat rice, soup, veggies and meat, bowls of spicy homemade pickled peppers, and drink homemade ayran (a salty yogurt drink) made by one of the women who works in bottling milk.

Caj break during milking
At night, food is either made by one of the women or cooked by the volunteers, or we go to Aysun’s house for dinner- Aysun is the owner of the farm, and she and her husband split their time between the farm and Istanbul. It’s always interesting to visit her house and talk about goings-on at the farm, as well as enjoy the delicious food she makes. On Christmas, she invited us over and served turkey- although I’m still a vegetarian, it was comforting to see that giant bird on the table! We also had pumpkin pie, traditional rice pudding made by Laust, the Danish volunteer, and coffee. Yum.

Someone goes shopping for the volunteers every Thursday at the nearest bazaar and grocery store, so we always have fresh fruit and vegetables. On top of that, there’s a practically endless supply of butter, cheese, and yogurt, not to mention milk brought in a bucket from that morning’s milking and transferred to glass bottles in the fridge. I’ve been able to cook some, and last weekend I made kimchi after a conversation with Jo, the Korean volunteer. It’s been nice to have such a large kitchen with the supplies you can’t take with you on the road- oils, spices, etc. I make a lot of French toast with Judith, the Argentinian volunteer/my roommate, and one day she made crepes for the workers. I’m planning to break out my dad’s pancake recipe sometime soon.

In other news, the weather was really nice (about mid fifties and sunny) so I started running again, which I hadn’t done since I left France in August. It was really nice, and I was doing a couple of miles a day, but on Wednesday a cold front rolled in, and I expect it to be cold and rainy the next few days, so we’ll see where my motivation takes me! I’ve remembered how much I enjoy running, and I think I’m going to try running during my time in Romania- after stocking up on warmer workout clothing, of course. I’ll do that after I arrive in the country next month.

Finally, happy new year! I can’t believe the year has come to a close. The past six months have gone by so quickly, and I’m so thankful to have such loving and supportive family and friends during this time. A few days ago, Judith asked us what two words we would use to describe 2015. “Laughter and movement”, “travel and mine”, and other similar responses came up. I decided on “love and adventure,” as this last year was filled to the brim with both. I can’t wait to see what next year has in store.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech