Skip to main content

Five-Step Spicy Carrot White Bean Soup

Hey friends,

I've settled into my home for the next seven weeks, and have started cooking again. I made a pretty yummy soup for lunch today, and have had several requests for the recipe, so you'll find it below. I'll post a larger update about my new environment in the next few days or so. Pofta Buna!



Spicy Carrot White Bean Soup
(serves 2 hungry people, includes leftovers for breakfast with an egg the next day)

1 clove garlic, minced

1 spicy chili pepper, minced, or a half tablespoon of chili flakes, or to your liking

1 red onion, minced

2 carrots, sliced in half lengthwise and chopped into thin (about 1/8 inch-ish) half moons

2 14oz cans white cannellini beans, or cooked ahead of time*

------------------------------------

1. Add a little water or oil to a pot over medium heat

2. Add garlic and onion, saute for a few minutes, then add chili and carrots

3. Cover and cook until carrots are soft, about 5 minutes

4. Add beans in juice, more water if necessary, heat thoroughly

5. Serve with ground black pepper and crunchy toast

*To cook dried beans ahead of time:
- Soak beans in water for 24 hours
- Drain, add water to cover the beans by at least 2 inches, and cook on high heat
- Add two cloves smashed garlic, black peppercorns, a half teaspoon salt or more to taste
- When the beans start to boil, cover and put on low flame for about 2 hours, stirring every once in a while, adding more water if needed, scooping out foam when necessary
- Try five beans- if none are crunchy, take off heat, otherwise cook a bit longer
- When finished, store in their broth (don't throw that liquid gold away!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech