Skip to main content

As life in Bod comes to a close, looking back, planning ahead


The old saying goes, "all good things must come to an end," and I can definitely place my house-sitting time in Bod as one of those "good things" that I'm not quite ready to leave.

When I left for my trip, I wasn't exactly sure what would happen after December. This awesome 2-month opportunity landed in my lap last fall, and it's been a great break from hopping from one city to the next and working on farms.

View of an eastern part of Brasov
One of the things that I miss most about my life back in the United States is routine- knowing when you're going to wake up each morning, when you're going to eat/work out/go to work/etc. Traveling has helped me worry less about routine, but throwing my backpack in a closet and sleeping in the same bed for two months has definitely filled some sort of yearning I had for consistency. I can wake up in the morning, drink my coffee, and know then pretty much what the rest of my day is going to be like. Now that might not sound very exciting, but after constantly being on the road it's been a nice respite before I head out again.

Peles Castle, in Sinaia

So, in summation, here are some highlights of my time in Bod:

Going on hikes, then eating donuts

A few weeks ago Allison and I finally discovered the hiking trails near Brasov, and have several times hiked up to the top of the hill/mountain/whatever you call it near the city center. There's a giant Hollywood-style Brasov sign on top, and trails behind, so we've been having fun exploring. Furthermore, there's a cronut-style donut shop near the city center, so we've rewarded ourselves appropriately for our adventures.




Glorious, flaky, buttery, chocolaty donuts. This was not a vegan day.


Visiting friends

I was fortunate enough to have several friends stop by the Bod Abode over the course of our stay here. Jonathan, a French Canadian ("Frenadian") I met in Bulgaria stopped by for a while on his way to Moldova. Allison and I were still settling in to the area so we just bummed around and visited Brasov a couple of times.


Kristen and Elizabeth from the University of Minnesota visited, and I got to play tour guide for a while when we visited Sinaia and Sighisoara. I had already visited these places last fall, but it was really fun to take new people there. With all four of us being connected to Minnesota in some way, it was really fun to hang out together. A little slice of home.

#bodsquad in Sighisoara



Last weekend, my friend Dan who I met in Targu Mures last fall  visited, and we went on a crazy hiking trek through the hills/mountains from Brasov to Poiana, where the ski slopes are. Like the last time we met, it was a crazy fun adventure. It started out nice and warm and dry, until we got to the snowy parts of the mountain, and found ourselves dodging melting snow falling from the trees and scrambling up snowy slushy hills, wondering if we were ever going to make it to our destination. All in all a fun time, and very Instagram-worthy. Of course, post-hike donuts were involved.







The red sweater

Colin left behind a bunch of clothes to donate, but said we could look through them first. Allison and I picked out about a half-dozen fleeces and sweaters, and leave them around the house in case we suddenly get cold. These were deemed "communal fleeces" but I've commandeered one almost exclusively. It's riddled with holes and now has multiple curry splotches down the front (I'm afraid to wash it), but it's been my second skin here in Bod. I'm still torn as to whether I should bring it with my to next adventures.

Classy enough to wear out of the house

Walks and runs through the village

People in villages don't typically walk for long distances without destination, and they especially don't run. Allison and I get plenty of weird looks when we're out jogging, and if I'm walking alone, I usually get offered a ride to the next village over. I decline politely, and attempt to indicate that I'm walking just for the walk. The area itself is not particularly pretty, but on a clear day you can see the snow capped mountains in the distance, which is pretty nice.

A kitchen + hand-selected groceries

Furthermore, having a kitchen to cook in has been unbelievable. Being able to buy all my ingredients from the store has been awesome. I haven't had an opportunity like this since I've been in Europe, and it made me realize how much I appreciate having those two things I really took for granted in the states. I've really been able to experiment more with my vegetarianism, and work on being vegan a couple days a week. It sure is easy when you don't have to buy pre-made food, or only buy things that will last in your backpack for a day or so! Fortunately, Allison has been a willing patron of my cooking, and enjoys veggies as much, if not more than I do.

Coconut curry with rice noodles (who knew you could find coconut milk and rice noodles in Romania?)

Having time to work on personal projects/future planning

Without much responsibility, it's been great to be able to focus on projects for longer periods of time. Perhaps the most intensive of these has been studying for the GRE. I tend to log 2-3 hours most days, depending on my motivation level, and use vocabulary apps while on the bus or bring math problems to work on when I head to the city. I take the test in two weeks in Bucharest, and I'm "almost" ready for it, though I'm pretty confident in myself. I'm just thankful I've had this much time to work on it- last spring I planned to take the GRE a few weeks before I left, and realized that I didn't want to use my last months studying when I could have been spending time with friends. I'm very glad I made that decision now.

Future planning mostly involves researching graduate schools, and planning out the next legs of my trip, including my mother's visit in a couple of weeks. I'll be more detailed about all that fun stuff in my next blog post.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech