Skip to main content

The light at the end of this Europe-shaped tunnel: plans for the next seven months

I'm interspersing this post with pictures of my most recent Romanian adventures in lieu of writing about them outright.

Voronet Monastery in Bucovina

When I initially planned this trip, I thought I would be gone six months, max. Three months in France and Italy, three months in Eastern Europe, home. Then, I decided to add Turkey to the list. Then, I decided to add Spain and the UK and Central Europe. When I left the United States, I didn't have a deadline to go home, but just to see what happened. Since then, my plans have changed constantly. My Google Drive is littered with random timelines and budgets. How long can I go without running out of money? How many farmstays do I need to do in order to stretch out my more expensive travel days?

In Cluj-Napoca

I knew I'd need to start earning money again at some point. I also want the opportunity to live somewhere for a longer period of time, instead of hopping from country to country. I thought I could transition from traveling in Europe to teaching English is Asia, and proceeded to buy a (now expired) TEFL course Groupon and start researching the best way to land a job in Ho Chi Minh City- which apparently is to don your best clothes, print out a bunch of resumes, and hire a motortaxi to take you to all the best English schools so you can inquire in person. I read blog after blog about teaching experiences and the crazy salaries you would get. I could pay off all my student loans and still come back with money to start up again! Eventually, this idea died after I realized I was too focused on the money and the potential to stick somewhere for a while, instead of the actual prospect of teaching.

Gorge near Zarnesti

As the dream of teaching English was dying, I started looking at graduate schools. There are so many English-language masters programs in Europe at a fraction of the cost of those in the United States. Deadlines aren't as early in Europe, so I could still feasibly apply this spring for a program starting this fall. I looked at public policy programs in the Netherlands, Germany, and the Czech Republic, and nailed down a few I thought would be a good fit. I made another spreadsheet! I also began doing research on schools in the United States, as a contingency plan. I signed up for the GRE. I scratched the surface of emailing graduate schools to figure out what might be a good fit.

In Cluj

And then, at some point a couple of months ago, I had a realization that I didn't need to find ways to stay abroad for a longer period of time. What if I just went home for a while? I would have to head back to the states for some time anyway, to set up any longer-term visas I'd need for school or teaching. What if I decided to return, see how things felt, and decide from there whether I wanted to head back out again?


Furthermore, my ideas for graduate school/future career plans have become increasingly more specialized. Last fall, on the farm in Bulgaria, I had an epiphany that perhaps the best field of policy I could work in was food policy. Makes sense, right? Food security is a problem all over the world, including the United States, including Minnesota, where the food insecurity rate is at 11.2%. What?? The United States is one of the wealthiest, most developed nations in the world, and we can't even ensure proper access to food for our own citizens?


I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to mold this interest into a graduate program. I'd like to have the academic background, hence the graduate school route, and I think enrolling in a program would help me strengthen my professional network as well. If I stay in Minnesota, the Humphrey Institute is the obvious choice, and although they don't have a specialization specific to food policy, I have the ability to self-design a degree, using resources from across the U. There are more dedicated programs in other states, which I'm looking into as well, but I love Minnesota, and would at this point much prefer to stay and work and create change there.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, or can think of someone for me to connect with, please let me know! I could use all the insight I can find.

One of the many 14-15thc painted monasteries in Bucovina

So, at this point, I'm planning to head back to the States in the fall for several reasons, mainly because I'm going to run out of money and I need to take advantage of my parents' health insurance policy before I turn 26 (got to get the rest of those wisdom teeth out!). Returning in the fall will give me time to apply for graduate schools in the states, and then also give me enough time to decide whether I would prefer to pursue my next educational endeavors abroad.

There you have it, folks. See you in October/November!



Here's a short timeline of what I *think* I'll be doing from now until then.

April: My mother is flying over next week, and we'll spent a couple of weeks traveling in Paris and a few cities in Italy. It'll be the first time I've seen her since last June. Really looking forward to it!

April-June: After my mother flies out of Rome, I plan to backpack my way back through central and eastern Europe, up to Ukraine. I'll be hitting up favorite spots and visiting friends I've met along the way, but will also take the opportunity to go off the beaten path a bit and find new things to see. Trying not to plan too much for this part, just to see where things take me.

July-August: I've accepted an offer to come back to American Village in France this summer, and I'm excited to be a camp counselor again! I'll find out in June where I'll be placed, but I plan to fly from Ukraine to Paris at the end of that month.

September: This is the fun part. I'm not sure! I would still like to visit Spain and the UK. Hopefully I can fit both in.

Sometime before November: When I fly back, I'll fly to New York, and plan to spend almost a month in NYC, DC, and North Carolina so I can visit friends before going back to Kansas City to hang out with my family. Eventually, I'll make my way back up to that northern star :)


Comments

  1. I love reading travel blogs and I didn't know you had one, so this was a fun find today. Sounds like you've done some incredible things, but have even more amazing experiences lined up. I'm very biased toward Spain (I'm always ready to go back) so that part at the end of your post especially peaked my interest. If you need any suggestions on places to go, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech