Skip to main content

Field report from Georgia: thermal baths, new friends, and all the food

Hello, all! I write to you from Kutaisi, the second stop on my Georgian adventure. I arrived here yesterday by train from Tbilisi. I had the option of taking a marshrutka, or minibus, which would have taken about three hours. However, after my one-hour marshrutka experience visiting Gori a few days ago I decided that I would rather be on a train for twice as long. There will still be plenty of marshrutka travel in my future, I’m sure.

Chilling outside the train on a stop

Tbilisi was a lovely city and I am glad that I will have time to return there in the coming weeks. I am in love with the hostel I stayed in, Fabrika, that opened a few years ago. It was renovated from a Soviet- era sewing factory and also has local shops and restaurants within its compound. My room was clean with high windows, bright colors, comfy beds, and the ability to control the temperature, a luxury especially in this recent heat. I took advantage of the restaurant downstairs where I bought a coffee every morning for 3 lari (about $1), and went to the Japanese restaurant in the courtyard twice, to eat something other than Georgian food, which is delicious but very heavy.

Bento Box, you were delicious

Ahhh the food. I love traveling in the summer when so many veggies are in their peak season. When I self-cater I buy juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, salty cheese, and fresh bread to make salads. Almost daily I’ll buy a small sack of cherries or apricots from a street vendor and munch on them throughout the day. Markets are bursting with color, and I’ve really enjoyed wandering around and looking at everything, almost apologetically as vendors hawk their wares. I visited the major market in Tbilisi the other day and I swear, the only sellers calling out to me were the butchers. I really need to learn how to say “Sorry, I’m a vegetarian.”

Market in Tbilisi

No sir, I do not want to see where you keep all of the refrigerated little piggies

I honestly thought being a vegetarian would be difficult here, but I was happy to learn that the Georgian Orthodox Church encourages fasting during Lent. This means that meat, fish, and dairy are off the table for many followers, and many restaurants have a “fasting menu” which is essentially a vegan menu of many Georgian staples!

Regardless, salads, veggies, and cheese play a large role in Georgian cuisine, so I have not been going hungry, that’s for sure. I tend to order a tomato/cucumber/onion salad, which is commonly sprinkled with fresh herbs (dill, parsley, tarragon, even purple (Thai) basil!) and sometimes a tasty walnut crumble. Walnuts play a large roll in many dishes, including one with little slices of eggplant rolled around a walnut paste and topped with herbs. I also tried the vegetarian version of khinkali, or soup dumplings, and the mushroom variety was delicious.
First meal in Georgia. YUM.


My new friends Nino and Anna took me for khachapuri, Georgian cheese bread, one night. I met Nino in the shared taxi on the way to Tbilisi, and she invited me to spend time with her 16-year-old daughter Anna. They showed me around the old town and were absolutely lovely to hang out with.

Nino, me, the too smiley American, and Anna

 There are many regional types of khachapuri, but perhaps the most well known is the Adjarian khachapuri. The dough is shaped into a boat and baked with cheese next to a wood fire. Afterwards, a raw egg yolk and pat of butter is added to the top before serving. To eat it properly you mix everything up with a fork and then eat it with your hands, using the bread as a vehicle for the fatty, buttery, melty hot cheese. It was delicious, and incredibly filling.

Before the stirring

Fortunately, I made several friends in Yerevan who were coming to Tbilisi around the same time as me, so I had plenty of people to hang out with. I ended up in the same hostel both times with Adil, from Toronto, who was traveling around before going to Pakistan for a wedding. We wandered around Tbilisi, took a day trip to Gori, and ate a lot of great food together. Adil heard of this local restaurant near our hostel, so we headed there one night and ordered so many things off the menu, including that eggplant walnut thing, salad, soup, fried potatoes, beans, beer, and bread. Our total came to 24 lari, about $8 dollars. It was insane, and probably one of the best meals I’ve had so far. 

Adil surveying our feast. We didn't even have everything on the table yet!

The next day Adil and I went to Gori, hometown of Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, better known as Joseph Stalin. The town is home to the “Stalin Museum” opened a few years after his death in 1953. I won’t spend a lot of time talking about it, but it was interesting to say the least, and still very one-sided even after all these years. There are plans to renovate it and spend more time talking about the millions and millions of people that were starved, prisoned, tortured, and killed under his leadership, but as for now it is mainly pictures and documents with recently-added English translations.

a smattering of Stalin kitsch. Note the man who had been "erased" in the painting.
I also met Deb and Elizabeth, two Americans in their early 20s staying in Tbilisi for a research project. I invited them to go to one of the thermal baths with me, a common pastime for Georgians and tourists alike. Tbilisi’s origins as a city come from its natural hot sulfur springs, and some of these baths have been in operation for centuries. We booked a private room with a sauna and scrub massage for each of us, paying about $45 total. It was heaven. There was a hot tub and a cold tub that you were supposed to alternate soaking in. The “massage” itself was great- the masseuse uses one of those mitts that scrubs all the dead skin off your body, soaps you up, and alternates pouring buckets of hot and cold water on you. 

Me in my happy place
The sauna was wild- I wish I had taken a picture. It was brick on one side with hot rocks in a hearth, and cedar planks all around. There were four tiered “steps” you could sit on, so I perched on the top step for a while and inhaled the smoky cedarwood smell. It was so relaxing, though I did get pretty lightheaded after all the big temperature changes. We topped the night off with ramen.

Anyway, that’s all I’ll say for now, but expect more updates after I make it to the seaside and the mountains!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech