Skip to main content

In photos, my last week in Georgia

Hello all, I'm currently in Moscow and lagging behind on my blog updates, so to commemorate my last, lovely week in Sakartvelo (Georgia) I will share some pictures of my experiences.

Essentially, after Mestia I went back to Tbilisi for one night, spent some time with my friend Nino the next day, and then took a marshrutka to Sighnaghi in the Kakheti region, which is known for its wine. On the bus I met Kristine, a Norwegian, and we spent the day in Sighnaghi together, including an amazing meal at Pheasant's Tears.

The next day in the morning I visited the Bodbe Convent and met a nice Austrian/German couple. Afterwards I took a taxi to Lagodekhi, a few kilometers from the border with Azerbaijan with a great nature reserve. At the guest house I met Roberta and Domenico, an Italian couple living in Modena. We shared several meals together! I spent a couple of days hiking there before I came back to Tbilisi and took a day trip to the Kazbegi region for a hike. The day after I returned to Tbilisi I took the night train to Baku.

Mosaic on an old aquapark in Tbilisi

Nino and Me 

Fountain in Mtatsminda Park

Amazing meal of eggplant/tomato, smoked cauliflower, white wine, bread and "mountain butter", juice

The view in Sighnaghi 


Bodbe Convent

Alina on the path to the holy spring

Locals filling up bottle at the spring

Abandoned Cinema in Lagodekhi

Hiking next to a river in Lagodekhi Nature Reserve



Hiking to a fortress on the other side of the border




Fortress on the way to Kazbegi

The Russian-Georgian Friendship Monument



Stepantsminda in Kazbegi

Hike to the Monastery

Adorable mountain dog who joined us on the hike

Can you see the dinosaurs carved into the side of the church?

Back in Tbilisi at the Fine Arts Museum

Tbilisi Train Station

Tea and treats on the night train

Stopping at the border with Azerbaijan


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Highlights from Tallinn, the first stop on our Baltic adventure.

Hello friends, I don’t know where to start with Estonia. Scott and I spent only a week there, and I wish we had more time. Here’s a zoom-through of the places we visited and some interesting observations about the country. I won’t get into the depths of history, but Estonia was having a rough 20th Century before it regained its independence from the USSR. A close neighbor to Finland, many parts of northern Estonia have a Nordic-esque feel to it. And after years of occupation by Germans and Russians, Estonia looks ready to reclaim its Nordicness. We landed in Tallinn Monday afternoon and checked into our Airbnb, an apartment owned by Peeter, a newspaper graphic designer and freelance artist. Jetlag was not treating me well, and I was feeling kind of cranky, but combined forces of Scott’s urging and my own “wtf you can’t stay inside” led us into the Old Town for a nice stroll. Tallinn has a lot of great fortress-y structures, rebuilt and original, that satisfy any medi

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech