Skip to main content

Is solo travel all its cracked up to be? Sometimes, I guess.

Don’t get me wrong, I love traveling by myself, but there are times when I’m not such a fan. I seem to always forget this feeling until it comes back again, and then I’m reminded, “oh yeah. I don’t like doing this all the time.”

When I left Tbilisi on Friday I was pretty excited to get out to other parts of Georgia. I planned one night in Kutaisi, one night in Tskaltubo, and two nights in Batumi before heading into the mountains to Mestia. I did research on hostels and found two that had good reviews and seemed to have a good social atmosphere. In Tskaltubo I stayed in a hotel, more on that later. 

I arrived in Kutaisi on a rainy afternoon. The hostel I booked was empty except for the host, who was nice enough but didn’t seem to be in the mood to chat. I took time to settle in, update my blog, and nap before going out into town. I was having a hard time dragging myself out of my room and into the city, which is one of my personal signs of getting into the solo travel funk. It’s totally okay to do that sometimes, but I knew I *should* get out and see some of the city. 

Rainy, empty Kutaisi

I was really hoping I’d meet one or two folks in the hostel to grab dinner with, but with no one around I finally put on my shoes and went outside. I did my usual routine: wandered around for a while, sat in a park and people watched, walked to the top of the tall thing (though this time on the way back down I was followed by a random dude, not fun), and then scavenged for dinner. I found two decent tomatoes, plus a cucumber and onion, in a market on the way back to the hostel, and picked up a can of beer to stick in the freezer. Back at the hostel, there was no one around, so I made a salad, drank beer, and watched TV for a bit. Eventually, a group of Czech hikers walked in, so we had a nice chat. They had just come from Mestia, where I was eventually headed. I was craving conversation so it was good to talk to them.

Entrance to the market

The next day, I forced myself to get out again before I went to Tskaltubo. It was raining most of my walk to the market, but I’m glad I went- it was one of the best I had been to. I bought provisions for my lunch and my time in Tskaltubo- including peppers, white nectarines, some dill, and some tklapi, which is essentially Georgian fruit leather. I’ve learned that all not tklapi is good tklapi but I got lucky with this round of peach and apricot flavors. 




I took a taxi to my hotel in Tskaltubo ($5) instead of lugging my bag to the bus station and taking a marshrutka. It would have been five times cheaper but three times as long, so I opted to spend the extra couple of bucks.

My anachronistic hotel in Tskaltubo
That night I stayed in the Tskaltubo spa resort, a renovated sanatorium in an old spa town that was popular among Russians, including Stalin, during the Soviet era. I want to dedicate an entire post to Tskaltubo so I won’t say too much, except I knew that this would be one of my more solitary days so I had mentally prepared myself ahead of time. 

Snaps from the Marshrutka
The Black Sea

It wasn’t until I got to Batumi, on the black sea, that I was really feeling the solo travel funk in full. I got to the hostel, allegedly “staffed 24/7”, but no one answered the door. I was already on the booking.com app looking for another place to stay when someone walked up the stairs. I had been waiting about 10-15 minutes, not terrible, but I was tired and a little cranky. Luis, an interesting Cuban dude who was helping the owner out, let me in and showed me the place (empty except for a dude sleeping in one bed, and some kittens). Again, in a quiet hostel with no real motivation to leave except to find food, I was hit with solo travel blues.

The hostel kittens

When people ask me about solo travel and how I do it, I sagely say something like “you’re never really alone unless you want to be,” intimating that it's pretty easy to meet folks on the road. As I mentioned earlier, I forget that that’s not actually true all the time. It’s much easier to meet folks when the hostel is full or when you’re Couchsurfing, which used to be my default form of travel. I really wanted it to be easy in Batumi, but it wasn’t. So, giving up on finding any travel companions, I went out to a pasta place that purportedly had the best fresh pasta and pesto in all of Batumi (it did), immediately returned to the hostel, watched an episode of Chernobyl, and went to bed. 

Batumi in all its weird glory


I woke up the next morning with a laundry list of things to do. Alone or not, I was going to get myself out there to...wander around, sit in a park, get to the top of the tallest thing, and go to the market. Despite the raging “I am ALONE” feeling bouncing around in my head, I got out early, saw the stuff, did the things, came back and made lunch, went out again, did more of the things, and got back around 6:30pm. I was pretty proud of myself for forcing myself to get out, even if I wasn't feeling it. For the most part, I liked Batumi. The sea is still a pretty foreign thing to me, so it was pleasant to walk along the boardwalk, look at cool old buildings, find some great Soviet-era mosaics, and smell the eucalyptus trees in a park near my hostel. 




Fortunately, someone I had met online through Couchsurfing hangouts in Tbilisi was back in Batumi where they lived, so we made plans to grab beer. Ruslan works for the National Democratic Institute, an American organization, and works with city councils in Western Georgia. He was great to talk to and I learned a lot more about the political climate in the wake of the conflict with Russia. I also had a pretty excellent IPA, my first of the trip. We only met up for two hours or so but my social battery was fairly recharged. Later that night I ate sushi in anticipation of the next four nights, where I would likely be eating only Georgian food while in the mountains (narrator: she was right). The quality was pretty good, and the price was right- I think I paid $8 for two maki rolls and some tuna nigiri.


I didn’t sleep well my last night in Batumi- a combination of snoring and errant cigarette smoke that had wafted from the porch and, in my halfsleep, I thought had been trapped in my lower bunk space. However, I was looking forward to the next day, which primarily consisted of taking a shared taxi the eight hours to Mestia. I was excited to see more of the Georgian country side, but more importantly talk to other travelers.

I expertly snapped this photo from a moving vehicle

When I met the driver at 6:30am the next morning, to my dismay I realized I was the only one in the car. For eight hours! What?! I tried to laugh about it internally and took it as an opportunity to listen to an audiobook (thanks Mom for buying David Sedaris’s Calypso). Fortunately though, after a few hours we met up with another group. I was sandwiched between two Brits for the rest of the ride, but I didn’t care. Finally, my social battery was recharging and I was ready to face the next four nights in Mestia, where there were bound to be more travelers and curious locals to talk to. Right? 

(Narrator: yes, she was right, and hasn’t had to eat a meal alone since)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Bod Goals: How to spend two months in a remote Romanian village

It's been about two weeks since Allison and I arrived in Bod, and I already feel as if I've been here for ages (well, I suppose relatively two weeks is "ages", given the last five months or so). Colin picked us up from Brasov station in his Land Rover and drove us 30 minutes north to his house in Bod. For a week, Allison and I plunged into a crash course on house sitting, Romanian, and village culture. The house has a storied history, which is one of the reasons I love it so much. It's been added to over the years, so it's one long structure, where you need to pass through each room to get to the other. Colin moved the kitchen and renovated it to fit his 6'5ish frame, so Allison and I feel slightly like hobbits each time we wash dishes or chop veggies on the counter. Don't even ask us the process for getting wine glasses off the rack, which is bolted to the ceiling. Colin purchased his Saxon home almost ten years ago. The house was built in

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech