Skip to main content

The report from Moscow: wow you fancy huh

It was seriously surreal to get off the plane at Moscow's Domodedovo airport and actually Be In Russia.



Ever since I started planning my trip it was uncertain that I'd ever actually get to this country. The visa process was so grueling and uninspiring that I had pretty much given up right until my passport and visa arrived two days before my flight to Yerevan.

Top level of a toy store

Unlike the other countries I was planning to visit, I didn't make an effort to research for Russia as I didn't want to potentially waste a ton of time planning a trip that might not even happen. So it wasn't until a day or two before my flight from Baku, Azerbaijan to Moscow that I started digging in.

Theater

Fortunately, I wasn't taking on Moscow alone. My dear friend Evgeniya was hosting me for a few days, and would be able to show me the city from a local perspective. Evgeniya and I met in Bosnia last August and hit it off right away. It was such a cool opportunity to see her again in her home country.



Anyway, back to the airport. Passport control was, surprisingly, a breeze. I had no questions from border control, was able to collect my bag, and exit to the arrivals gate before Evgeniya had even arrived. Which was a little bit of a problem- the "free" Wi-Fi required a working SIM card, which I didn't have. I stopped by a mobile network kiosk and paid about $25 for 10 gigabytes of data- which seemed like a lot compared to Georgia ($10 for 20GB) but I figured because it was Russia that it was going to be a little more expensive. I said "spasiba" to the two young people at the kiosk and one of them responded "Go Trump!"....Welp, I hope my entire trip wasn't going to be like that (fortunately, it wasn't).

Entrance to the Red Square

I called Evgeniya to see where she was and we almost ran right into each other. Such a great reunion!

Hotel Ukraine in the distance

I stayed with Evgeniya the first four nights of my week in Moscow and she gave me the starter pack tour of the massive city. We visited the Red Square, GUM Market, VNDKh, Gorky Park, all via the massive, magnificent Moscow Metro. I took so many pictures of the stations, which were the prettiest and cleanest I've ever seen.

The metro



VNDKh

A lot of the time Moscow felt like Disneyland. I felt this especially in the touristy areas. Lawns were well-manicured, buildings were bright and beautiful, the fountains were shimmering. Perhaps I was so in awe of these places after coming from the Caucasus- the capital cities of Yerevan, Tbilisi, and Baku were pretty in their own right, but the economies of their respective countries have taken longer to grow that Russia.

GUM Market



It also seems as though much of Russia's wealth is concentrated in Moscow- both as a city and a population. I saw children decked out in designer clothing, and more well-dressed people than ever on the streets. There was a level of decadence in Moscow that I hadn't seen in my travels so far. It was fascinating and a little disturbing, knowing that the wealth gap in Russia is perhaps the largest in the entire world, with 10% of the population controlling 89% of the wealth (2016 numbers from a Credit Suisse report).

Grocery store in the center (I promise no other ones looked like this)

Selling corn on the cob

When I said goodbye to Evgeniya (she was heading to her family's dacha), I still had three nights left in the city.



Fortunately about 30 minutes into settling into my new hostel I met Isabel, an Australian working as a translator in Switzerland who was in town for a five-week Russian course. We hit it off  right away, and spent a lot of time over the next few days together, especially around plates of vegetarian-friendly food and good beer and cocktails. What more could someone want in a travel friend?



That Sunday we went to the Izmaelovsky Market south of the city, possibly the largest souvenir/flea market I have ever seen. Even better, it looked like actual Disneyland- turrets and bright colors and everything.







We wandered around and I found some great Soviet-era goods- a few enamel pins that were so ubiquitous for the time and two classic Soviet table glasses at about two bucks a pop. I can't wait to make cocktails in them at home.



New Tretyakov Gallery



The next couple of days were a blur of museums, wandering around, great food, and great friendship. On Tuesday night, I hopped on a night train to St. Petersburg. The classic "Red Arrow" has been in operation since the 1930s and was pretty nice. I bunked with three Russian women who were keen to go to bed right away (our train left at midnight so I was very okay with that) and I slept well as we barreled toward Russia's most European city.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My farmstay in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria: A chance to be vegan, getting back on a bike, plus a recipe from yours truly!

“Here,” he said, handing me a pair of latex gloves. “You might need these.” It’s my first night on the organic farm in Hotnitsa, Bulgaria , and my host Rodo is warning me of the spiciness of the chili peppers he gave me. “Seriously, don’t touch your eyes or nose after you handle them. They’re dangerous.” Part of the farm on a foggy morning Earlier that day, Rodo gave me a tour of the farm, stopping ever so often to pile more veggies into my arms. Green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and the aforementioned chilies , Rodo’s specialty. Rodo, originally from France, has been in Hotnitsa since about 2008. A former investment banker, he gave up consulting and bought a homestead in a small village outside of Veliko Tarnovo. He grows strictly organic, sells his produce in markets, and does his best to give back to the land. Average day on the farm I met Rodo online through Workaway , an organization that connections volunteers with hosts worldwide. In exchan

Highlights from Tallinn, the first stop on our Baltic adventure.

Hello friends, I don’t know where to start with Estonia. Scott and I spent only a week there, and I wish we had more time. Here’s a zoom-through of the places we visited and some interesting observations about the country. I won’t get into the depths of history, but Estonia was having a rough 20th Century before it regained its independence from the USSR. A close neighbor to Finland, many parts of northern Estonia have a Nordic-esque feel to it. And after years of occupation by Germans and Russians, Estonia looks ready to reclaim its Nordicness. We landed in Tallinn Monday afternoon and checked into our Airbnb, an apartment owned by Peeter, a newspaper graphic designer and freelance artist. Jetlag was not treating me well, and I was feeling kind of cranky, but combined forces of Scott’s urging and my own “wtf you can’t stay inside” led us into the Old Town for a nice stroll. Tallinn has a lot of great fortress-y structures, rebuilt and original, that satisfy any medi

Musings/complaints about traveling alone, the frustration of missed connections, and the constant draw of that Northern Star

In an unexpected and impulsive fashion, I booked a round trip flight from Zagreb to Minneapolis three weeks ago. (I'm inserting nature-y pictures of my recent time in Slovenia and Croatia to break up monotony of the text.) Two hours prior, I was having dinner with my mom in a pizzeria in Rome on our second to last night together. When our eggplant, olive, and mozzarella pie arrived, I could only look at it. Anxiety was brewing in the pit of my stomach, and I had lost my appetite. Travel anxiety has always been a part of my life. Stressed out LRT rides to the airport, waking up multiple times in the night after forgetting to pack something, finally exhaling when getting on the plane were all part of my experience living away from my parent's house. Arboretum in Slovenia Now, it's gotten a little better- I don't have to buy a lot of bus/train tickets ahead of time, and just show up a little before the departure time. Packing my backpack has become a mech